OUR STORIBOOK

OUR STORIBOOK







Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Wednesday's Wisdoms



The wisdom my children and I learn with each other captured on camera.


When eating outdoors always look at your bite of food before it is placed in your mouth.  This little guy was found on Jamey’s plate as we were hosting a little dinner party.  




 I apologize the pics are out of focus.  This guy wouldn't stand still!  
And, Please ignore the dirty nails : )

I, of course, snatched it up and took it inside for a quick photo shoot.  This is what a Mommy of a boy who wants to be an entomologist does.  I wish Parker could have been here.  He would have loved to have seen it.  He also would have told us every fact there is to know about walking sticks.  But since he is in Florida, I had to use my trustworthy pal Google.  So here are some fun facts:


The walking stick has the ability to regenerate lost limbs.  How handy would this be?


A female can reproduce by herself, but will only produce other females.   Wow!  If this were true for humans, it could end all wars.  : )


Some species of walking sticks can squirt a fluid that will make their potential predators temporarily blind.  I am hoping that this does not include humans.  We like to play with walking sticks.  Maybe I need to research this fact a bit more!


Here are a few other creatures we have found around our house this past week. 


This little tree frog jumped on my shoe as I was watering flowers.  It stayed on my shoe the whole time I was outside! 




I know a lot of people get Frogs and Toads confused.  Here is some 
simple ways I tell them apart.
Frogs have wet skin and most have long hind legs for jumping. Some 
frogs can climb trees like this little tree frog.  You can tell by his sticky
toes!
Toads, on the other hand, have dry, warty skin. They are fatter, and
they have short hind legs. They may hop, but they stay close to the 
ground.
Oh, and FYI we have tested those myths over and over again.  If you 
kiss a frog it does NOT turn into a prince (Boo! Everyone could use a 
prince charming, right?)  and if you hold a toad you do NOT get warts!
Thank God!  Or we would be known as the Wart Family!



I swear he was posing for the camera (my phone) here!  Cute little guy!




But these guys….not so cute!


Don't worry these are harmless Wolf Spiders.  These are really harmless, because Shannon dived to the bottom of our pool to find these for the kiddos.  Apparently, Shannon loves my kids almost as much as I do : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your reading! I'd love to hear from you!